MEZBAH UDDIN AHMED
- 2016 MSc in Islamic Banking and Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia
- 2015 Certified Islamic Professional Accountant, Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI), Bahrain
- 2011 Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA Member), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), UK
- 2010 BSc in Applied Accounting, Oxford Brookes University, UK
- 2007 Certified Accounting Technician, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), UK
- 2006 Certificate in Cost Accounting, London Chamber of Commerce and Industries (LCCI), UK
- 2005 Certificate in Accounting, London Chamber of Commerce and Industries (LCCI), UK
- 2015 - Present International Shari’ah Research Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA), Researcher
- 2014 - 2016 International Islamic University Malaysia, Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant
- 2011 - 2013 A. Qasem & Co. (PwC affiliate firm), Bangladesh, Assistant Manager (Audit and Assurance)
- 2010 - 2011 Bangladesh Institute of Management Studies, Head of External and Professional Courses and Lecturer (ACCA & ICAEW)
Areas of Interest
- Financial reporting of Islamic financial institutions
- Auditing and governance of Islamic financial institutions
- Islamic banking
- Islamic capital market
- Co-editor and Co-writer: Islamic Financial System: Principles & Operations (2nd ed.). (2016). Kuala Lumpur: ISRA.
- Co-editor and Co-writer: External Shari’ah Audit Report. (2016). Kuala Lumpur: ISRA and London: UKIFC.
- Mohamad, S., Badri, M., & Ahmed, M. (2017). Preference Shares: An Analysis of Sharīʿah Issues. ISRA Research Paper, 94/2017.
- Ahmed, M., Sabirzyanov, R., & Romzie, R. (2016). A Critique on Accounting for Murabaha Contract: A Comparative Analysis of IFRS and AAOIFI Accounting Standards. Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research, 7(3). (Scopus and awarded as highly commended paper).
- Rosman, R., Hamid, M., Amin, S., & Ahmed, M. (2016). Financial Reporting of Murabaha Contracts: IFRS or AAOIFI Accounting Standards? MEI Insights.
- Tarique, K., Ahmed, M., Hossain, D., & Momen, M. (2017, September). Maqasid al-Shariah in CSR Practices of the Islamic Banks: A Case Study of IBBL. Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance (JIEBF), 13(3), 47-63. (Scopus)
- Alhabshi, S., Rashid, H., Agil, S., & Ahmed, M. (2017). Financial reporting of intangible assets in Islamic finance. ISRA International Journal of Islamic Finance, 9(2), 190-195.
- Mohamad, S., Ahmed, M., & Badri, M. (2017). Preference shares: analysis of Sharīʿah issues. ISRA International Journal of Islamic Finance, 9(2), 185-189.
- Ahmed, M. (2018, January-March). Islamic Banking in Bangladesh: A Proposal for Improvement. Islami Ain O Bichar, 14(53), 73-94.
- Ahmed, M. (2017, July 12). External Shariah audit in Islamic banks. Retrieved from The Financial Express: https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/print/external-shariah-audit-in-islamic-banks
- Ahmed, M. (2017, April 12). External Shariah audit of Islamic banks. Islamic Finance News, 14(15).
- Ahmed, M. (2017). Lead Story External Shariah audits of Islamic banks. Path Bulletin(36).
- Ahmed, M. (2016, June). The Compounding Effect of Conventional Banks' Interest Rates and the Emergence of Islamic Banking. ISRA Islamic Finance Space(5), 5-8.
- Ahmed, M. (2015, December). Financial Reporting of Islamic Financial Institutions: The Rationale, the Present, and the Future. Islamic Finance News Guide 2016, pp. 6-7.
- Ahmed, M. (2015, September). Islamic Finance Deserves Wider Syllabus Coverage, UK: PQ Magazine.
- Ahmed, M. (2015, July). Proposition for ACCA to Launch Islamic Finance Variant. Islamic Finance News, pp. 20-21.
- Ahmed, M. (2015, April). IFRS for Islamic Finance: Development is Needed With no Delay. Islamic Finance News, pp. 26-27.
- Ahmed, M. (2015, April). Bangladesh: Islamic Banking Continues to Grow. Islamic Finance News, p. 19.
- Ahmed, M., & Rosman, R. (2015, March). Financial Reporting for Islamic Financial Institutions in Malaysia: Issues and Challenges. Islamic Finance Review, pp. 52-53.
- Rosman, R., & Ahmed, M. (2015, March). In Numbers: Islamic Banking in Bangladesh. Islamic Finance News, pp. 23-25.
- Ahmed, M. (2014, December). Riba, Bank Interest, and Islamic Banking: A Summarised Response to Fundamental Questions. NEWHORIZON, pp. 24-28.
- Kasri, N., & Ahmed, M. (2017, December). Protection of Investment Account Holders in Islamic Banks in Malaysia: Legal and Accounting Analysis. ISRA Islamic Finance Space(9), 30-33.
- Ahmed, M., Sabirzyanov, R., & Rosman, R. (2015). Financial Reporting for Islamic Financial Instruments: The Issues in IFRS-based Reporting. IIUM International Accounting Conference (INTAC) VI. Kuala Lumpur: IIUM.
- Tarique, K., Ahmed, M., Hossain, D., & Momen, M. (2015). Reflection of Maqasid Al-Shariah in CSR Practices of the Islamic Banks: A Case Study of Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited. International Conference on Maqasid Al-Shariah in Public Policy and Governance. Kuala Lumpur: International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies (IAIS).
- Ahmed, M., Sabirzyanov, R., Rosman, R., & AlHabshi, S. (2015). Accounting treatment of Islamic financial instruments: A comparative analysis of IFRS and AAOFI accounting standards. International Conference on Islamic Perspective of Accounting, Finance, Economics and Management (IPAFEM). Glasgow: University of Glasgow.